Carl MuellerThe Concert Chorale had its beginnings as an a capella choir founded in 1931 by Carl F. Mueller, who was at the time choir conductor at Montclair State Teachers College, and organist and choir director at Central Presbyterian Church in Montclair. It was called The Montclair A Capella Choir. When Mueller retired in 1956, he advised that the choir not continue. But Board President, Jim McGilvray, with the endorsement of the Board decided the group could continue, only under a different name. Thus The Montclair A Capella Chorale came into being, still a community chorus, but expanding its repertoire to include accompanied songs.  Joseph Liebling served as director from 1956 to 1959, and was succeeded by Nixon Bicknell. In the mid 1960s, the Chorale moved to West Caldwell and renamed itself The Concert Chorale of West Caldwell, under the direction of Bill Sempier, who led the Chorale for forty years and who retired in 2007. In May of 2008, the Concert Chorale of West Caldwell and the Little Falls Community Chorale joined together and now sing under the name of The Concert Choral. Following Mr. Sempier's retirement the Chorale selected a new director, Basia Jaworski. Unfortunately Basia passed away unexpectedly in the summer of 2014. Marsha Schreier became the interim director for the Fall 2014 season.  In the spring of 2015, Donald Pennell gladly accepted the baton and leads the Chorale as its sixth and newest permanent director.